Thursday, March 26, 2009

Rosa and Lisa

So I last night was round two with Special Olympics Basketball practice. We love it. It is so nice to get away from a world spinning way to fast and just spend a couple hours having fun with some of the sweetest most amazing spirits- I know that sounds a little corny, but it really is such a blessing to be involved in. I know you shouldn't choose favorites...but there are two girls I really love working with one is Rosa she is just so sweet, she speaks spanish so the coach will nickname everyone some random word in spanish and she just cracks up, like John is Tortilla and I am meat on the grill. It is pretty fun. Then there is Lisa, who has down syndrome, I am her partner when we play....I was so excited and when the coach paired us up she looked at me turned around, through her hands up and turned around exclaiming, "WHYYYYY???" I am not going to lie, my feelings were hurt. I asked her if she wanted to be my partner and she looked disgusted and shook her head...I told the coach and he asked her if she would be my partner and she nodded her head then he asked her to shake my hand and she looked absolutely horrified. Then she finally shook my hand with her face looking another way, and then when I let go she started shivering and wiping all my cooties or what not off her hand and made vomiting actions and noises. Now my feelings were REALLY hurt...that was so mean! And she was my absolute favorite! So, with Rosa's help I finally got her to say she wanted her choir partner (who was there) to be her Bball partner too...that wasn't so bad, so she just wanted someone else. Well I convinced her she didn't have to hate me but she didn't have to like me either. But she did need to be nice at the very least. She agreed and gave me a hug and didn't even shiver. We made a couple baskets, but I wasn't much help with Caity on my shoulders, as Rosa pointed out. But by the end of the game Lisa told me she liked me because of my baby...its always the baby, isn't it?
Hopefully next week it doesn't take convincing.

1 comment:

Kristin said...

Mary, you're so cute. I totally laughed at the shivering and throwing up part! ;)

You May Also Enjoy...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...