Saturday, June 6, 2009

Straight up ballers

So today was regionals for eastern idaho special olympics. John and I are partner basketball coaches for the Rigby Hornets, and we pretty much are going to take state. We did pretty well today. The hornets are a part of the unified league- which means two of the three players on the court are "partners"- they don't have any kind of disability. It makes things more competitive which is more fun for the athletes as well as those watching. Some of the partners, however; know the direct route to my nerves. I mean- they foul out and start swearing at one of the athletes- I mean- really? I just want to be like, "Hey remember when you volunteered for special olympics and rammed into that girl with autism- that was really cool." but I am trying to be less sarcastic. Anyhow we were playing a team full of these competitive partners and they were shoving and doing all these hardcore layups. So John puts in Brian, and athlete that just gets so focused and excited that he will do ANYTHING to get the ball. So Brian commences to slap, push, shove and steal the ball like crazy. Now, both John and I understand the importance of teaching athletes sportmanship, but it was too funny to watch Brian just rock these punk highschool kids. At first I was the voice of reason- and I would back up the referee and tell Brian not to hit, while John was on the other side of me cracking up saying- "Brain! Don't change a thing! You are doing great! Go Brian! Everyone needs to play more like Brian!" Of course this game stradegy needs severe improvement in order for state olympics to be at all successful, but today was an enjoyable day. The skill level was probably about the same as young women stake basketball, which gives me a further appreciation to my parents who sat through all those intense, WNBA comparable games. The good news in this blog: off to state championship we go!!! (with everyone else- its a no cut sort of thing- but lets pretend you don't that)...ahem...YAY!

1 comment:

James, Kayleen and Ezra said...

Are you allowed to take pictures of your team? I want to see these "ballers". Please post again soon, I started checking almost every day since I found out you had a blog. How embarrassing!

You May Also Enjoy...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...