Friday, May 6, 2011

4 years ago today...

Four years ago today....John asked me to go on walk. What started as a stroll through Porter Park quickly turned to a journey through life. How romantic. It seems like this time of year all the anticipation comes flooding back to me and I just fall in love all over again.
  • I remember the first thing I said to him, "Nice to meet you"
  • I remember the second thing I said to him, "Hey John, you off to get your social on?" Like it was the wittiest thing ever and he looked at me like I was Moron- though he won't admit.
  • John remembers the third thing I said to him, "Hey we were just talking about you!" He said "Really, cool." I said, "I didn't say it was good." I was like REALLY funny, ok?
  • John remembers the 4th thing I said to him, "You are SO lucky to be walking with me." Like I said, SO funny.
John and I hardly knew eachother but heard a TON about eachother. Everyone seemed to rave about John so I was curious as to what the hype was about- so I kind of stalked him, but only kind of- not the creepy kind. John heard a lot about me too, I was friends with John's sister, Brittany (who played cupid) and had gone on a date or two with his roommate...and we kind of liked eachother but only from afar. I told myself I would never go for it, but I found myself always asking about him and looking for him a crowd just to say "hi." and would get all worked up over it too! haha. John said it was the same for him.
The day he asked me on a walk, President Faust gave a CES fireside, before he started he counciled the men not to take council from their fears. John said that he felt President Faust was talking right to him and thought "I should ask Mary on a walk"- John sat behind me by the way- I dared not look at him of course. The fireside ended about 35 minutes early and President Faust said (roughly) "You know its a beautiful day outside, I think I am going to end early, and encourage you to ask a young lady on a walk." I thought- oh that would be nice if John asked me on a walk....meanwhile John thought- oh great, now I HAVE to do it. My Romeo.
So the fireside ended and I was talking to some friends and John circled our group like a vulture. I tried to step away and say hi but he kept blowing me off- so I figured Ok, he's a punk, he can go walk himself. Actually I was partially devastated that he kept ignoring me.
But he was just nervous. How cute! Awww...anyway, John leaves (and I watch him.)
I keep 'getting my social on.' I finally leave with some friends. We are talking outside of the Hart when out of the corner of my eye I see John and Brit walking past the Tennis Courts in front of Royal Crest (where we lived.) I think it would be cool to "bump" into them and stop in the middle of a sentence and say "but yeah, talk to you later!" and start walking across the cross walk. The guys I was talking to were a little confused and kept trying to talk to me and aske me questions, and I just kept trying to get away from them! Couldn't they see this was NOT a time for manners??
Then one says, "Oh wait, wasn't our apt supposed to come to your place for a pancake party?"
Blast...I forgot about that. "Uh...oh yeah..."
They say, "Ok, we will just come with you then!" NOOOO! How am I supposed to run into John casually and have a more-than-one-syllable-conversation with him with all of you here??
I say, "Uh...yeah, I guess that works." So rude. Oh. I forgot to mention: This is all happening while I am in the MIDDLE of a cross walk with John and Brittany watching me and the guys I was talking to watching me, and the CAR waiting for me to cross watching me all thinking "What the heck is she doing?"
SOOO...we ALL cross the street and run into John and Brittany. I try to act casual. Try to keep it cool. Totally just stand there. John tries to keep it cool. Totally just stutters. The people I am with try to keep it cool- actually they are just trying to make sense of everything. Brittany tries to keep it cool. She just runs away. Wait that doesn't happen for awhile. I finally say, "Hey you guys go ahead." And they do because they are so over my awkwardness. Its just me John and Brit now- I am still silent and John is still stuttering. And Brit is still there. So she senses her timing and says OUT OF NO WHERE "Ok, gotta go. Bye." and blots for her apartment.
I say, "Wait Brittany, I don't want to interupt your walk! Come back!" which i sincerely meant. And I had no idea what I would even talk to john about.
She says, "No, really- I have to go" And keeps running.
John just stands there.
So apparently, when John left The Hart he ran to Brittany's apt and told her to come on a walk with him and to be fast about it (now, anyone who knows John and Brittany can picture how this went down.) So they PLANNED for John and I to meet at the corner and I guess John kept telling Brittany to slow down so the timing was right- how funny! So poor Brittany gets dragged from her apt thrown in an awkward situation just to have John look at her like, "Ok, you can leave now." Leaving me so confused as to why when I said "Hi" to Brittany she ran away. But really- her leaving wasn't that awkward, John and I already enhaled all the awkward fumes of that moment.
So John and mosy after Brittany and he says, "so w-wwwhat are you d-ddoing righ----"
"NOTHING!"
"Uh, you wanna g-g-ggo on----"
"Go on a walk, sure!!"
"Ok, cool."
I swear this was WAAAAY forward for me... I have no idea what got into me.
We start talking about who knows what which leads to three and half hours of more who knows what bliss. (first time we said more than a sentence to eachother.) People playing Frisbee in the park started tallying the times we went around. They stopped and got bored at 43. And we start falling in love.
For the first time ever I felt I was talking to someone I had known my whole life. Time just flew by.
After that first walk I think we both knew where it was going and it went alright...very quickly.
Here are some pics of us dating:
(ABOVE:this is my favorite picture of John from when we were dating- he is so handsome! Earlier that day John totally washed his camera in the laundry so I got him this disposable one, which have some of my favorite pictures on them. Ok, long caption, I know. This was the picture I had on my desk at work while we were apart for 6 weeks I would just sigh and stare and think wow...I am getting married. Weird.)
(ABOVE: this is another favorite. Well, its the only other one I have on this laptop so it is going to have to be the other favorite. We were on our way to Utah for the 4th of July- one of my favorite holidays- heck, they're ALL my favorite! But I just remember being SO happy when we took this- I still am, you know- but I just like remembering this day.)
So four years ago today I met my best friend and love of my life (corny- yeah, whatever.) But really, back then I was so surprised there was someone so made for me and I thought the exact same thing this morning.
And that is why you will always find us walking. Everywhere.
Actually its because our car embarresses us.
haha- just kidding.
But Happy First Walk for Mary and John Day everyone!!

2 comments:

Amy McFarlane said...

ok i totally blog stalked you guys and i just loved this story! you two are so cute! tim should call john and we should all have dinner sometime!

Kate Lyn said...

So, I got scared away from this college ward after attending once... I kid you not, they talked about "walking and talking" EVERY meeting. I'm glad it worked out for you two though! Your story made me laugh.

You May Also Enjoy...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...