Saturday, May 24, 2014

Moving on Down...

OK, this one is preeeetty wordy.  And you thought I gave up on my blog! 

Well, we finally found our way on the road.

I'll admit, it all hit me while I was mopping the kitchen floor 11:00pm Wednesday night that we were really leaving, and I just cried and cried and thought about all the wonderful people that I have been able to know and rub shoulders with these last couple of years. Life-long friends.  Even if I never see or speak to any of them every again, I will always be a different person because of their impact.
I'm also going to miss the beauty of Moscow, ID. Oh! I am going to miss the variety of trees, the green, the blossoms, the "Narnia" winters...Thank you, Moscow for being so good to our family.

Now- moving on (a pun!)
Our move went so well and I feel so blessed that we were able to get where we needed to go safely.  I feel like the last couple of days were chalk-full of answered prayer after answered prayer. 

We woke up as planned at 4:00am and hit the road. Just kidding. We left at 10:30am! Oh well, it was a long shot anyhow- haha.

John was pulling the Land Cruiser, Sally, with a big 'ole trailer we got for $800 in Rexburg, and I drove Fran the Van with our little trailer full of stuff going to Denver.  We said a prayer that we would be safe, and were on our way.

We got to the BIG hill just outside Lewiston and made our way down into the valley.   Realizing he was carrying quite the load, John had me pull ahead of him so that if he ran into anyone- it could me.  He just values my life so much, I can tell through little moments like this.

As soon as I pulled ahead, John noticed the wheel baring was going out on my trailer. That made me a little nervous, but I had no idea what he was talking about so I kept on my way a happy camper, knowing we would pull off into Lewiston once we got to the bottom of the hill.

We finally get to the bottom of the hill, and pull over in front of a truck runaway ramp....Well, I pull over, John just keeps going- his brakes went out! A part of me was grateful the ramp was there because I knew John would be OK no matter what, but the other part of me prayed that he wouldn't hit it because we would have to get towed out, and it would just be a huge expense and hassle.  Well, he stopped inches- literally, inches in front of the runway gravel.  I am so grateful no one was hurt and John was able to get to the bottom of the hill safely- that could have been horrible.

John showed me the wheel baring and it was destroyed, completely eroded and I freaked out in my mind and said a thank you prayer in my heart that the wheel didn't completely pop off.  Since the part for our cheap-o trailer could only be purchased at Harbor Freight, we had to take the trailer to a fix it shop a few miles down the road.   We pulled it slowly about a mile and the baring busted-completely! I can't believe we were able to make it down that hill when it was so close to breaking.  The guys helped us get it to their shop.

We headed back to the Sally, so John could fix her breaks, that were still shot even though they had sat for an hour.  We pulled onto a safer part of the road.  And enjoyed the heat with no air conditioning while John enjoyed the hot gravel while performing intense manual labor- it was a special moment I will never cherish in my memories...ever. 

Changing the brakes took a little while. We were on a one way street and I didn't know my way around Lewiston so we just hung out with John eating candy and comparing who was sweating the most.  I felt pretty bad for John, but he was trooper. 


Did I mention the William finally had that post-surgery bowel movement we were waiting for?  It was a complete blowout.  He was just pleased as a peach as John tried to sanitize all his stitches and tubes that he volcanoed through, all while being pinned down by his gagging-weak-stomach Momma.  It was awesome! Like really. Like in a way that is really not awesome at all.  We were in good spirits though and I tried to be like the pioneer women Elder Uchtdorf talked about in conference who would sing and dance despite the trials and hardships.

The trailer was repaired and turns out the entire axel needed to be replaced as well as pretty much every part possible- oh my goodness, am I grateful we were able to get that all taken care of!  We have a basically new trailer now- so no more worries if the other baring will go out or something.  John needed about 20 more minutes (or so he said, haha- about an hour) on the breaks, so he dropped us off at the park and the kids had so much fun.


Caity also made a new friend which is one of her summer goals, so she was pretty proud of herself.
Then, John came and got us and we were on our way!
 
I put on Frozen for the kids and realized they were conked out by "Let it Go" because Caity wasn't singing along.  We drove to Grangeville and got there by midnight.  I had some trouble staying awake and found some old CDs to listen to under the seat.  I may or may not have been singing David Archeleta at the top of my lungs in order to fight off drowsiness!  I had fun, anyway.  We also pulled over to look at the stars at one point.  We always have to do that we when are road-tripping at night- it is so beautiful.
 
We pulled into a hotel and got a trucker discount because of my awesome husband, and Johnny first thought it was our new Denver home! Haha.  It was so nice to get showered and comfortable and we all just crashed!
 
The next morning, we grabbed some Raisen Bran and were on our way again!

I told her to smile, but she couldn't because her mouth was full of food. So polite, that one.

I forgot to mention: we couldn't go faster than 30 mph the entire time! Luckily we didn't run into too much traffic and never had more than a couple cars piled behind us at any time. Another blessing.
 
We got to Boise and besides a few glitches, we were able to pull the big trailer and the Land Cruiser into a cover storage lot and John joined the party in the van and we were on our way!  Well, first we wanted to be classy and eat at IHOP- haha, trucker discount, horse trailers and IHOP- haha, we know how to drive the open road like the regulars, people!  The kids thought it was so fun- we don't usually do the sit-down restaurant thing with them, so it was definitely a treat for them. With the hardest part over we all piled into Fran the Van and headed on our way and 8:30pm.
 
This next part was a blur, we finally pulled into North Ogden around 3:00am. Everyone in John's family woke up and trickled in to say hi to the kids and they felt so special and loved.  Ma'ama Brassell always leaves a little treat on their bed and Caity was just besides herself waiting to see what it was, she kept making sure Ma'ama knew she was coming!  Once everyone left and went back to bed, John's dad came in the room (he was MIA earlier) and said he had been waiting for us on the couch and fell asleep, I thought that was so sweet- and even sweeter that he slept through all the commotion of everyone being awake for 30 minutes!
 
I am just so glad we made it and can enjoy a couple days with John's family!  

2 comments:

Ellen said...

Sounds like you guys really had a lot of tender mercies. So glad you made it safe and sound. Life is Good :)

Kayleen said...

holy craziness. Oh my goodness. you guys always have some pretty unreal adventures. So glad you're safe and everything turned out okay. Good luck the rest of the way!

I love these updates and how sweet and funny your kids are. That william is a doll!! And you are such a great mom. What a blessing you are to your family. I'd love to have your attitude about life ;)

You May Also Enjoy...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...