Sunday, July 13, 2014

Girl in the Big City...Library.

Saturday we decided it was best I leave for the library to get my homework done...something about how I always get distracted and then wait for last minute and blame John?  I don't really remember. Possibly something like that. Anyway, grateful for John for letting me take a leave of absence from the home front to get caught up. I took the bus.  You just wouldn't believe all the interesting people you see and meet on the bus. I'll leave it at that.

It took me almost forever to find the perfect spot to study. I went up the escalator. I went down the escalator. I tried out a few seats and wandered to a few corners. And there it was: my spot. It beckoned me and I started on my journey of higher learning for the week.  One king size bag of skittles and 2 hours of text book reading later...I was ready to gouge my eyes out. Has my attention span really come to this? That's what I want to know.  I knew I would regret omitting my eyes from my face, so I settled for (gently) thumping my head against the wall behind me. This seemed adequate until a bearded man wearing a conspiracy sign around his neck walked past me and gave me the crazy eyes, like I was the one that lost my mind. He shook he is head and I just kind of awkwardly smiled and looked the other way...

Then, lo and behold, was I glad I had those eyes of mine! There, on the escalators opposite of me, I saw a braid with a red bow, a little boy with his shirt on backwards and inside out with his handsome dad pushing a stroller.  They came to see me!  I was so excited I almost cried. Almost.  But I mostly just jumped up and waved them over.  Those kiddos ran full throttle to me and I felt like the luckiest girl in the world.
This is them on the way to see me in front of the capital building.  They were on the one mile above sea-level step!

It was so nice seeing them.  Everyone told me all about their day. Johnny asked if was staying forever and I answered that I would probably be there for most of the day.  He looked so depleted and it about broke my heart. He begrudgingly walked away with his dad and sister and kept looking back at me with that pouting lip and I felt like the worst mom ever.  But I preservered and trudged through the rest of my work.

On my way home I made more "friends." To be honest I felt like a twelve year old girl lost in the big city.  I learned from hands on experiences what areas to avoid next time.  That was fun. In a terrified-for-my-safety-kind of way.  
Everyone was so happy when I got home that night and it was so nice to be able to spend time together.  
In other news, this is how I spent my Sunday... :)

3 comments:

Kayleen said...

You are such a great example to your kids. How much longer do you have? Are you doing school online right now? I love that John takes the kids on adventures. You guys have the greatest family and your kids have the greatest parents! You are doing such a good job Mary!

Whitney said...

Why did you not sneak stealth pictures of your new bus friends?! Did they remind you of Disturbia? hehe that's fun that they came to visit! I can't believe that John braided Caity's hair and put a bow in it... impressive!! :)

Brit said...

im with you! its important to find the perfect spot! i like the comments kayleen and whitney said.. they are spot-on!

You May Also Enjoy...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...