Thursday, October 30, 2014

Days of Halloween: Candy Corn and Dem Dancin Bones!

Well, skeleton day and candy corn day got a little jipped due to...well, life. Life happened and all my careful planning took a back burner while I enjoyed the casual every day moments with these kids of mine. We plowed through though, and enjoyed some good ole Halloween merriment.
First we'll discuss SKELETON day! It was a lot of fun. I hung dollar store skeletons from the ceiling and found these fun skeleton plates, low key but festive.
Remember Skeleton night last year? My they have grown!!

For lunch we had white mac and cheese- uh, I mean, Cheesy Bones! I cut toast in the shape of a skull. Then for a treat, dipped pretzel sticks, with marshmellows on either end (so the look like bones,) in white chocolate  It was a hit. Except Johnny didn't eat his.  So maybe it wasn't. 

I tell him to smile, what does he do? Try and stab me with his fork. Yes, he concerns me sometimes.

 For our activity, we danced to "The Skeleton Dance," This was a blast, William was the cutest squatting up and down to the beat.
After dancing dem bones of ours, I buried pieces of a plastic skeleton in the sand box for the kids to go and unbury, yes- it is a little morbid, but it was pretty fun. It reminded me of when I was little and would dig up bodies in grave yards with my family every October.  That was a joke, just checking to see if you are paying attention. Ha! Made ya look. 
For no reason I can come up with, Johnny found absolutely no skeleton parts! Caity was just an efficient excavator, I suppose.  William just threw sand all over himself.  I had some crafts planned, but just got a little too tired to follow through with them...so we called it a quits and made a goal to do them another day.

It may sound corny, but Candy Corn Day was also rather enjoyable. When I was a kid, I used to love candy corn, like love it.  I don't really like it any more- weird, right?  Now, I like stuff like onions and tomatoes and olives...younger Mary would be so disappointed.

For breakfast, we had fruit/yogurt parfaits. Then, for a main course: normal-colored eggs (I learn my lessons! :) ), cheese and bananas.  Everything resembled a candy corn.
We did counting games with the candy corn, which was super easy but took up some good time and was good practice for the kids. 

For our craft, we glued little scraps of paper to a drawn candy corn. I did this with Caity when she was little, it is fun to see how much she has changed.  This time, she was very methodical and refused to let any white show underneath her scraps.  It was cute and fun to contrast to Johnny who haphazardly glued his scraps down, and got bored after like eight. Then Will...who ate the paper...then the glue.

I love my view from behind watching them work. They were so concentrated.  
When Caity was at school, I pretty sure Johnny ate ALL of the candy corn on the table. If that isn't a parenting win, I don't know what is.

Then, candy corn day ended and we had a good couple of days.
A good couple of days where we enjoyed eachother's company and enjoyed the brisk fall weather and watched "Charlie Brown and The Great Pumpkin."
Not to mention did all this:



No comments:

You May Also Enjoy...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...