Thursday, November 5, 2015

Family Dinner

I don't know what happened, but at some point in Boise we got lousy at family dinners. Perhaps it was because John's work and class schedule didn't bring him home until after the kids went to bed most nights? Perhaps it was my pregnancy? I'm not sure, but since we have moved to Rexburg I have been a rockstar at getting our family together for dinner every night. I know, that sounds a little brag-y, but I am proud of myself! If your house is anything like mine 5:30 pm is when you want to throw in the towel for the day and start justifying a 6:00 pm bedtime. So, to take that morale and cook a dinner. sit those crazies still around the table and engage civilized conversation for thirty minutes? 
Yes, that very much makes me a rock star in my book!
The effort is always, always, worth it though.  
Nothing makes me quite as happy as seeing these five favorites of mine all sitting together and just enjoying each other.
(or pulling each others' hair, or saying "Ew, I don't think I like this. I'm full." or talking over eachother...haha, let's be real.)
Last night we had chicken salad, and while Caity was talking about hermit crabs and recess, you could hear Johnny in the background stabbing his fork into his bowl saying "GOTCHYA!" Salad is hard to eat for four years old, haha.
For our family dinner we go around the table and say our best and worst parts of the day, and in November we also each say something we are grateful for. In October Johnny would always ask us what our favorite part of Halloween was, and we'd all say "Ugh, we already told you!" and he would laugh and say "I know, but I want to talk about bats some more!"
I tried to take note of each child's best and worst part but they just talk soooo much I lost track, but here's my best shot:
Caity's best part was "this wonderful dinner" and "swinging like the whole recess and no one else even counted to get me off and learning my name in sign language so now I can talk to death people." and her worst part was me picking her up late at school. (I wasn't late. I just wasn't early like I have been the last few days....for the record.) and "William screaming at me for no reason." Then, I reminded her that it was because she wouldn't let him play and she said, "Oh yeah, I forgot. Still it was a bad part."
Johnny's best part was making cookies with mom, getting a snow ball from Caity, watching shows and "this wonderful dinner except the peas because I don't like peas, right mom?". His worst part was the peas in his dinner and "William taking all my candy when I wasn't even lookeded-ing." 

No comments:

You May Also Enjoy...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...