Wednesday, March 2, 2016

Wonka, Wacky, and Superman

Yesterday, John was out and about at meetings and things all evening. Since I wasn't feeling very well, I decided it was as good a time as any to introduce the kids to "Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory," the 1971 version, screenplay written by Ronald Dahl, himself! It's a classic...creepy and weird at times, but enjoyable all the same for this at times creepy girl and her weird children. We had a blast snacking on string cheese, graham crackers, fruit snacks and carrots (except just kidding about the carrots.)
Caity was exteremely concerned about the everlasting gobstopper plot- would Charlie spill the beans?? She was one happy girl at the end.  
Johnny's favorite part was when Augustus got stuck in the chocolate pipe and when Wonka ate the tea-cup.  William liked the oopma loompas and eating fruit snacks. 
It was a lot of fun and took me right back to my childhood.

Today at Caity's school, they are celebrating Dr.Seuss's Birthday. She had to dress wacky and we had a lot of fun with it.  She asked me if we could get her hair straight up, I channelled freshman year at BYUI, remembering some girls dressed as crayons... and when I finished my creation (that someone probably did better on pinterest), boy did she think I was coolest mom ever.  Something about gaining street cred among first graders makes me feel a little too good about myself.

Johnny got this Superman shirt from his GG Brassells in Denver.  Needless to say....he loves it. He put it on, sped twice up and down the hall,to our lower neighbor's delight I'm sure, and declared, "Yep, I like this shirt. I'm not taking it off ever, except to wash it. Can I wear it to preschool? Can I wear it to bed? Can I wear it to the store?" He is one happy boy. He flexes alllll the time.

In the card his GG talked about using his powers to do good. He thought about it and said, "Making our house all ice so we can ice-skate is good." So he stared and concentrated and was sorely disappointed when it didn't work. We talked about what GG probably meant and he has since been about the house helping in a particularly super way.

As I was walking past his room yesterday, I heard him talking to himself. "This is the best shirt ever."

No comments:

You May Also Enjoy...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...