Thursday, September 22, 2016

First Day of Fall

This afternoon I had a "moment."  It was raining outside and as the rain's pitter-patters serenaded us, I took a deep breath of significance in the ordinary moment and my heart swelled with gratitude. Johnny and Wills shared my desk chair while Johnny did his computer homework. They were laughing and looking at each other and so engrossed with each other and the reading game they didn't realize the goldfish accumulating on their naps as Matthew toddled back and forth adding to the pile. I also had a small pile of goldfish on my lap being as I was Matthew's second depot, the third being his mouth. He would fake put it toward my mouth and break away eating it and giggling, then he would point outside and say "whoooooaaa." Then he would clap and continue on his rounds. After Caity finished the last batch of pumpkin chocolate chip cookies, and taunted her brothers with dough coated monster fingers, she asked to borrow my phone to do some research on spiders. She grabbed her notebook and pen and proceeded to take notes about everything important.  As the cookies baked, our house started smelling like Halloween. I grabbed Matthew gave him a hug so I could inhale his baby smell, then I looked around at the five of us and thought, "Yes. This is a good place to be in this moment." And I tried to drink it in so I could remember the happy simplicity of my life right now. We all piled into the van to pick up our favorite Dad from work and lip synced to the Lizzy Mcguire Movie Soundtrack that OK, fine, I still have in my possesion. We picked up John and enjoyed our drive home in the rain. It was just a really good day.

No comments:

You May Also Enjoy...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...