Wednesday, September 14, 2022

Homework

I have a love/hate relationship with homework as we started seeing more of it this week. On one end, “Ew.” On the other, it is so sweet seeing these kids focused on their school work!




There were only a few tears as we worked through sight words and spelling. I forgot how hands-on first grade can be as kids are learning how to read. I love Matthew’s little tongue slipping out while he concentrates. I love how William will focus so intently and rewrite words so everything is spelled right and looks tidy. I also love that Johnny loves Math because heaven knows I do not!

Yesterday after soccer, I scurried around the kitchen prepping dinner helping three boys simultaneously with their schoolwork while a 14 year old sat on the counter recapping her day. I was a little overwhelmed maintaining four conversations at the same, but also felt a bit of thrill realizing how full this season of my life is right now. A quiet voice whispered in my mind, “You will treasure nights like this when you look back some day.” It’s exhausting, but it’s fulfilling raising these kids. I am so proud of their hard work and so grateful for them. When we sit around the table for dinner every night I try to savor each of their voices and faces as we recap our days and laugh at silly things one or the other is doing. It is always a calming ritual to end these hectic school nights.

No comments:

You May Also Enjoy...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...