Saturday, June 20, 2026

Pilot Rock

It smelt like summer yesterday. I was leaving the grocery store and I smelled that burning air and hot concrete smell.  It smells feels like eating popsicles after playing on the slip and slide, floating Idaho rivers, the sunflowers that line Utah highways on our way to grandma’s house, afternoons at the splash pad and loading the car for camping trips. It smelt like nostalgia. I love the dry heat of summer in Medford. 
To kick off our Father’s Day weekend, we decided to hike Pilot Rock! It was a beautiful morning and we knew we could finish the hike before Cate had to work, and Johnny had to go to a movie with friends. 
It’s about a mile and half up, with a steep ascent at the end involving clamoring up rocks, for about half of the hike we are on The Pacific Crest Trail. The hike oozed Oregon beauty. There were yellow, lavender, deep purple, red and white wildflowers scattered along the way. The views were spectacular. John carried Emma most of the way, which was quite impressive, seeing as I was dying at parts of the hike.  
The kids did well besides a squabble at the beginning and it was really sweet seeing them ask each other questions, joke around, play the the sling shot and race up certain parts (the boys in particular getting impatient with their slow mother!  
The rocky ascent at the end was more difficult than I predicted, especially with nonexistent core muscles- ha! John maybe had to hoist me from behind at one point, yes I’m a little embarrassed about that- but mostly grateful. The views at the top were worth it though. 
We scurried back to our car, Matthew and Johnny trying every trail before the right one a couple times, Emma scream-singing the whole way down calling out to her siblings, and Cate and Will target practicing with the sling shot. 
By the time we reached the car, Heaven felt a little closer, and I know that sounds cheesy; but it’s true. I need to remember the value getting out and adventuring as a family. 






















We got home in time to get Cate to work, and Johnybto his haircut. Then Johnny went to a movie with his friends and the rest of us went swimming at the community pool. After that, we made a fire to roast marshmallows for smores, and roast hotdogs. Johnny brought the TV to the backyard and Emma set up blankets and we watched “The Parent Trap.” 
It was a great summer day!



 


No comments:

You May Also Enjoy...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...