Monday, September 3, 2018

Today

Today was a lot of things.
The biggest "thing" on my mind this minute is: today is the last day of summer. Tonight we go to sleep, and tomorrow we begin what will feel like a new life. A familiar life, but moments of this summer will no longer be the present and they will shift to sweet remembrances propelling us through the gloomy, foreboding winter.
Tomorrow, I will wake up earlier than I have been. I will pray and study scriptures, hopefully exercise- but let's be real that may not happen. I will rub Caity and Johnny on their backs and say, "Time to get up for the first day of school!" We may be flustered, I'm hoping we'll be calm. We'll leave the house at 7:15 AM on the dot (but probably 7:25 AM), and walk to school. Caity will be chatty. Johnny will be hyper. William and Matthew will either be best friends or enemies, the forecast is 50/50. We will walk into the gym. I will escort each of them to their respective lines. I will give them a hug and refrain from asking for a second one. I'll feel butterflies as we turn away from each other. They will either be excitedly talking to their friends, or nervously shifting feet not sure where to look. Either way, as the person who has mastered reading her children's every emotion- I will see the nerves, the vulnerability, the anticipation, the hope... I'll walk away with my two littles keeping my emotions in check. As always, I'll launch a special prayer in my heart  for Heavenly Father to watch over His children. I'll leave the gym, William will ask what is next and like that, our "new life" will begin.
 Our endless summer days have expired and in their place will come routine, hectic schedules, and outside expectations. We will also be greeted by opportunities for growth and motivation for more intentional living.
It's just a strange thing to know that tonight my life is one way and tomorrow it will be another.
It is wonderful thing that despite the masses of change, I still get to be with these kids. I get to watch them grow and learn.
As I mourn a summer ending, I feel joy for the prospects of a new school year.

Our family theme this year is "Remember who you are. You are needed. You are loved. You are a Child of God." We had a special celebration Sunday night as we talked about it. I felt the spirit as we deliberated as a family. I have such hope in the men and the woman these kids will become and I feel honored to be a part of their journeys.

Here's to another great school year!


No comments:

You May Also Enjoy...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...