Thursday, August 28, 2025

Back To School Celebration 2025: RECEIVE HIM!

It was a hectic last week of Summer and truly a miracle we were able to gather Sunday and launch this school year and family theme. 

The table was decorated, the punch was made, we had our four course meal and discussed our highlights of the summer, what we were looking forward to this school year, and what we were most nervous about. 



This year's family theme was "Receive Him!" Meaning: receive Jesus Christ. 
Since August is Peach season in Oregon. We compared God’s gift of His son to a Peach Tree. We talked about how we don't grow a peach tree simply for its shade, but we excitedly pick the fruit, and partake of it! We make pies or milkshakes, eat them sliced with cereal or cottage cheese, any way we can think of! Similarly, as wonderful as it is to know we have a Savior, He didn't come, teach, die, and live- simply for us to just sit under that knowledge. We need to receive the fruit of His gift and partake of His grace. We read different scriptures and wrote the purposes of Jesus coming to Earth. We then talked about what partaking of those gifts could bring to our lives. It was so powerful what we have in Jesus, and how important it is to truly "Receive Him!" We closed with this blessing from President Nelson: 

"I bless you in your quest to overcome this world. I bless you to increase your faith in Jesus Christ and learn better how to draw upon His power. I bless you to be able to discern truth from error. I bless you to care more about the things of God than the things of this world. I bless you to see the needs of those around you and strengthen those you love. Because Jesus Christ overcame this world, you can too."

WOW! Isn't that great?

I actually had an answer to a prayer with this blessing and talk given by President Nelson. 

For weeks, I had been feeling nervous and worried about the upcoming school year. I knew schedules would be hectic, I knew my influence on my kids would decrease as they were apart for more hours, I worried if I would be able to manage it all. I told John I was anxiously looking forward to a priesthood blessing, because I felt I needed added spiritual gifts and understanding to navigate what was ahead.

Sunday morning I woke up with a debilitating migraine. I was nauseas and in pain. I was worried I wouldn't be able to pull it together in time for our back to school celebration. It was stake conference and streaming was not available. I listened to a talk I planned to reference to my lesson for the family later that day. I was so weak and could not move, so when the talk ended, instead of me turning it off or listening to it again, the next talk played. It was this talk by President Nelson. In my vulnerable physical state, my entire focus was zeroed in on his words. His glorious words. They addressed so many of my concerns and gave incredible advice. Then, as President Nelson began this blessing, I felt filled with the Holy Spirit. It was as if this prophet was standing by my bed with his hands on head blessing me. My entire body was filled with love and peace. It was the blessing I was praying for...(given three years prior) blessing me "by chance" at the moment I needed it most. It was a miracle. I fell asleep and my headache faded enough I was able to complete the day- but the bigger miracle than the physical relief was my spiritual burden lightened, and the sure knowledge and promise I received that Jesus was with me. I committed to wholly receive Him!






We did blessings for each of the children to finish off the night. It was a spirit filled evening. I am grateful for this tradition. 
God is good.



 

No comments:

You May Also Enjoy...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...