We moved to Portland with exactly one month of summer before school started for the older kids. I remember making a deliberate goal that my kids would have Oregon memories of summer. I know that doesn't seem like a big deal now that I am writing it out, but it was. It meant really getting out of my comfort zone quickly. Before feeling settled in, I wanted to act settled in so my kids would have a strong foundation of our life here when starting school. This meant saying "yes" to everything, no matter how much out of my comfort zone it made me.
We really ended last summer right: park dates, zoo trips, beach trips, soccer games, library visits, bike rides, hikes, picnics, making friends with random people at the park/library/MAX station...it was a busy last month. I'll be honest, it was hard for me at first. I have become somewhat of an introvert over the last few years, so getting together with groups of people I didn't really know really stressed me out. I did however feel like it needed to be done. It wasn't only a goal with myself, but one I took to the Lord, and I know I was really blessed in my efforts. My kids were able to make a strong foundation of friends much quicker than normal, their confidence grew, and we made some memories that have buoyed me in depressive moments.
The following pictures were from our last Friday night of the summer. Earlier in the week, I went with a group of friends to Oceanside Beach and seriously fell in love. It was breathtaking. It was my favorite beach I had been to so far. So when John got home early that Friday at five, we bee-lined it to Tillamook so he could experience it with us.
It was such a perfect night and really, a fitting cap to a magical summer.
Then, here a couple of pictures from when I went with the kids earlier in the week:
Matthew and my favorite game is to get his hands dirty then I carry him out to the waves and carry him in just a way so his hand can get clean. Then I will hold under his arms while his stands in the ocean and when little waves come I swing him up to jump over them. Then, when a big wave comes, we both run away as fast as we can. I know, the same game everyone plays- but does everyone get to listen to Matthew's little laugh??









1 comment:
Talk about the golden hour! Those silhouette pictures are awesome. The one of your whole family walking--it's pretty dang special! What a great end to summer! Way to set up a great foundation for your kids and family! Life is Good :)
Post a Comment