Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Surviving the Anthill

 As a child, I remember wondering what it would be like to live in an Anthill.
Well, my curiosity was satisfied last night, when we visited the Denver Children's Museum. 
I am pretty sure their were more kids present than lived in all of Moscow, ID!
Every step I took I was Godzilla, taking out some toddler! haha,
At one point a child grabbed my hand, thinking I was their mother only to look up terrified as they realized I was, unfortunately, not their mother.
Having made the same mistake before as a little girl, I know they will look back on that moment for the rest of their life as most unsettling. And I got to be a part of it. :)
All the crazy-ness sure made me appreciative to the museum workers for opening it up to the public, they had their hands full!
Soooo, you were supposed to make a path for the ball to go down with those foam tracks in the background.  After about ten minutes of no success,  Caity said, "Mom, I don't think you know what is going on here, let's do something else."  My motherhood was slightly bruised as I observed all the other parents establishing rather successful tracks.  You win some, you lose some, I guess.

For about the first 45 minutes, you would think these kids were at a funeral based on their face expressions. I think they were just so nervous with so many kids there.  I would say "smile!" and they would take one look at me, then refocus on what they were doing. I guess capturing the moment is just trivial when you have kinetic energy to figure out.

Johnny wasn't heavy enough.  I can't remember having that problem. Like, ever. Haha.

Blowing bubbles.

Johnny's hat...



His sister's arm in one hand and his hat in the other. "Come on Caity, we'll stay together. It's crazy up there!" 
While John took the older kids to the Tree House, I took William to the baby area.  I didn't have high hopes, but mostly thought it would be a nice break from the chaos. William loved it though! He had so much fun crawling to everything and kept giggling and socializing with the other babies.  It ended up being my favorite part of the whole night. 
He FINALLY got a turn to drive the fire truck.  It was a long wait, and I realized my kids just don't stand a chance to Denver kids. They are rough out here! The older kids bullying I justified- I mean that happens. Then, after watching Johnny get pushed around by an 18-month old- I knew my kids are in need of some back bone.  It was kind of funny watching Johnny's face expression though!

If you were making a Children's Museum, wouldn't you think to add REAL saws, nails, hammers and all sorts of sharp objects for kids to play with at their disposal?  Me too. That just seemed interesting to me. Good thing I am not as concerned about my children's safety as I should be. Besides, the kids loved it.  The museum set out all these recycled materials and had instructions to make cars or dinosaurs or robots or other things- I thought it was such a fun idea. 
My second grade obsession with "Where's Waldo" books finally paid off, as Johnny would wander off into the chaos all by himself time and time again, like, he would end up on a completely different floor.  We would be trailing him by a few feet, but he didn't know that- he would just go where he wanted when he wanted then when he realized he was by himself he would look all panicked.

When we got home, John gave William a bath while I made dinner, I found all these bubble pictures on John's phone and they made me laugh.
RIGHT NOW

Caity just sat next to me and said, "I hope you don't have a baby here because it will be 'Called rattle'" After repeating a few times, I learned she meant "Colorado."  She then said, "It's just you worked so hard to have all Idaho babies and that would mess everything up."  Haha. I'd hate to ruin our streak!

Johnny just said, "Can I get something out of my room? I'll be really quiet" (William is sleeping) A few LOUD crashes later, Johnny tip toes from his room with his car-track blanket from my mom and says, "I just needed to get my car circus."

No comments:

You May Also Enjoy...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...